Twice on the Ice
The 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Held Jan. 17-25, 2015, the 2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships brought 350 top U.S. skaters and more than 160,000 attendees to Greensboro, and was hailed as the largest event in North Carolina that year. Champions were crowned in the novice, junior and senior divisions in men, ladies, pairs and ice dance.
This was the second time the event was held in Greensboro, and Vela has served as the event’s official agency of record both times.
Client Sports Properties
Date January 2015
Skills Event Management
Manager Ginger Gallagher
- Sports Properties invited Vela to act as the agency of record for the championships, helping bring the championships to Greensboro and then creating the campaign and all supporting print, television, radio, outdoor and venue support items. We even got to design the tickets!
- Create an advertising campaign that was compelling and would hold up over 1 ½ years
- Concept and design all advertising, including television and radio commercials, signage, billboards, print ads, brochures, handouts, trade show signage, tickets books, etc.
- Work with coliseum staff to create a media plan that was within budget and reached most of North Carolina, but contained national elements, as well
- Place advertising with media and coordinate printing, production and delivery of all other items
- We partnered with the client for pre-event and on-site coordination to concept, develop and execute a clear vision
- Worked with U.S. Figure Skating directly for campaign approval, logo and photography needs, etc.
- Created the “Simply Stunning” campaign to celebrate the technical and athletic merits of the sport, and engage multiple audiences
- Continued to update and freshen the campaign and communications throughout the promotional period
- Created and executed all materials needed for advertising and on-site event needs
- Record-setting attendance, with more than 150,000 seats sold
- An invitation to act as agency of record for the newly created U.S. Masters Games, to be held in Greensboro in July 2016 (promoted and managed by the same company that brought figure skating to Greensboro)